Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Social Networking

I wanted to look at something new for our final assignment. I found a discussion on ZDNet about Ning. Ning lets you create your own Social Network. The part I like best is that you create the network, invite the members and have the ability to keep it a closed network.

I am planning on using Ning for my Web Development course in the Fall. I have set up my network - I've called it Dixon SpaceBook! since students already know MySpace and Facebook. Each student will add their own page or pages to the network. I'm posting discussion forums on my page and will have them use discussions to work on a collaborative project. I will also have each student add a blog to their page and have them use it as a journal of their reflections of the class, assignments, difficulties, etc...

I'm really excited about using this tool! You can seaarch through open networks - there are lots of education networks already in place! I'm looking at joining a few that are education/technology/web2.0 networks.

Here's the website: Ning

Here's my badge of membership

4 comments:

Diane M said...

One of my colleagues also used Ning and I think it has a lot of potential for distance education and online learning environments. I would like to try using it in my class this fall as a way for students to post an online searching journal for the class.

Anonymous said...

Very cool! I have never heard of Ning. I love that people can create their own social network rather than being forced to use those that are already out there.

Bessie said...

Ning sounds like a great service, and I will be exploring it further. I've never heard of it but could be a new direction for social networking. Thanks for sharing.

---
Bessie

dr becky said...

This is a very cool site. Thanks for sharing it with us. I'm definitely going to explore it for use in my classes.